Design Quality Assurance
NewCom’s quality control systems and engineering checkpoints assure the technical performance of all NewCom designs.
NewCom can provide consultation in all areas of design and architecture. Special attention is given to minimize operating cost by reduced active counts and hardware configurations. Whether your engineering needs are in new plant, plant extensions or upgrade of existing networks, NewCom has diverse experience in fiber, coax and copper (twisted pair) network facility
NewCom can audit and document your existing standards of practice and procedure for construction, field engineering, and design and drafting; and, if requested, NewCom will suggest improvements.
Fiber optic network design is performed to maximize the value of your capital. We offer a full range of services and variety of splicing diagrams.
In HFC network structures, fiber service areas are defined based on parameters provided by the System. Design engineers select an optimal placement of the fiber optic node for your review. Once approved, the last mile distribution network is designed. Our engineers provide you with preliminary powering designs with acceptable tolerances in locating the power supplies, giving you the flexibility to consider placement in light of your knowledge of local issues.
A customized Bill of Material (BOM) is prepared at the completion of the design. Meeting your specific request, the BOM often includes differentiation of new cabling requirements versus reuse of existing and a comprehensive list of hardware for the network elements, including the support structure.
Depending on your needs, a list may be provided of all serviceable addresses within a fiber service area with point of service detail. This data can be provided in most common database formats.
Final project deliverables include all the necessary project documentation such as standards, symbol library, design and CAD files. When the time comes to expand your network, you will have the necessary tools and information to continue the network seamlessly and consistently. Our documentation includes detailed metadata for land base, symbology, layering, drafting standards and any customized software applications developed for the your project.
Unique Technology Solutions
To better serve you, we focus on innovative technology solutions by continuously and persistently improving all our technology tools.
We have the latest versions of ATT_MApp, Avatech, AutoCAD, Bentley Systems (and FOCUS), ESRI ArcMap, Lode Data, MicroStation, and Telcordia Network Engineer, and we can integrate data and functions across all of these platforms (plus any platform you may use).
NewCom can provide consultation in all areas of design and architecture. Special attention is given to minimize operating cost by reduced active counts and hardware configurations.
Whether your engineering needs are in new plant, plant extensions, or upgrade of existing networks, NewCom has diverse experience in fiber (long-haul & FTTx), coax, and copper network facility.
NewCom specializes in AutoCAD and Lode Data—always the latest version. Lode Data’s what-if scenarios provide unique customization qualities that allow for less actives in the field — reducing maintenance, improving signal quality and power consumption. And AutoCAD’s powerful programming language flexes to fit many other platforms. CAD also provides a basis for integrating diverse data into an enterprise-wide information system.
- All of your field engineering work is documented in the most current releases of either AutoCAD or MicroStation. Field notes are scanned and archived as image files and provided as a final project deliverable reducing your need to store paper files.
- NewCom CAD services include detailed site drawings, permit detail drawings, and presentation quality overview maps. Data formats are available in a variety of CAD and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) platforms.
- Conversion of paper files to CAD environments can be performed in either AutoCAD or MicroStation. This conversion process gives you economical solutions in network documentation.
Custom Software Tools
During the course of any project, we continuously review our processes to speed up and simplify production of deliverables. These improvements are sometimes global but usually unique to each project; however, any custom software tools that function exclusively with projects developed by NewCom are yours to keep.
Many of these collaborative exchanges have produced bottom-line benefits for the System. For instance, some operators have profited from NewCom’s enhancements such as a 911 compliant format for easy interface with LECs (reducing future compliance expense) and imbedding data to support facilities management audits such as hardware pole attachments and duct availability (for expense control and identifying potential revenue streams).
Land base Development/GIS (Geographical Information Systems)
NewCom can give you the land base you need and recommendations are offered to meet your System’s requirement for accuracy and detail.
For Systems operating in a conventional CAD environment, we can often provide solutions to enhance your data with exclusive GIS processing capabilities. These processes can extract critical elements from state and local government Geographic Information Systems when available. This data integration typically reduces costs to the Operator, improves quality of data, and builds a basis for common interchange between the operator, other regional utilities, and local and state governments.
NewCom can meet the demand for immediate response and quick turnaround for line extension and new build, continuing a long track record of managing and designing thousands of our clients’ jobs. By using the NewComTech Link client service center, communication and collaboration between designer, the local system office, and the field is almost immediate, greatly reducing unproductive downtime.
Whenever NewCom bids on an upgrade project, we generally propose a GIS solution to land base development if we anticipate a cost savings or engineering benefit for you. Use of the GIS generated land base streamlines the field engineering process and, in the long term, provides easy integration of the local infrastructure changes and sub-division additions.
- NewCom cuts out less accurate land base data covering the project’s range. We then insert the highly accurate GIS data and edge match it to your network data in adjacent regions. Using an exclusive in-house process, tax assessor address data is imbedded in the Operator’s graphic data.
- In doing so, the address information would only need to be validated rather than collected, saving time in the field and improving the accuracy of this vitally important data. This process also eliminates the necessity to digitize the information at the drafting stage resulting in improved data integrity within the network.
- If you agree to the GIS option you will find a reduction of cost in field engineering and strand/as-built drafting.
Archiving System As-Built Information
NewCom has the skills necessary to facilitate data transfer from either paper archives or CAD environments to most GIS platforms.
For archiving extensive as-built information, only the elements that will be required for design and construction are documented in CAD and the other information is preserved in the form of a high-resolution scan. The scans may be in a geo-referenced TIFF format. In this form, the images maybe viewed seamlessly as a background to the system drawing files. This process usually means a reduction in the strand as-built drafting rate.
We have developed internal processes to accurately collect and make records of serviceable units.For example: we can clean field-collected data to conform to industry standard 911-address format, and also get clean address data into your billing systems.
Sensible Field Engineering
NewCom offers the full range of field engineering services; from route feasibility studies to fully-permitted construction detail prints. “Plan your work and work your plan” is the adage of the NewCom Field Engineering team. Not only do we have processes in place that streamline our field collection activity, we make every effort to protect your system from unanticipated problems in construction, maintenance, and operation. For example: A critical component in any upgrade and new build is time. To reduce the time involved in permitting, NewCom works to build a trusting relationship with local and state government agencies so that you can gain cooperation and necessary approval for its plan.
- NewCom’s route selection process gives you options to reduce costs and limit delays associated with permit acquisition. Through our discovery process, we look to uncover any long-range infrastructure changes that could result in future forced-relocation of the facility.
- As a common practice, any deficiencies in the plant standard can be identified during field data collection. This data can then be used to your benefit, for example, to facilitate repairs and reduce outages.
- Field agents provide on-site project management to oversee construction and monitor faithfulness to engineering standards.
- NewCom will act on behalf of your System in property acquisition and rights of waynegotiations. We also make sure that local and governmental jurisdiction requirements for aerial and underground communication facilities are met; including, if required, accordance with the National Electric Safety Code and National Electric Code.
- Sometimes last minute application for construction permits slows down progress on a system build; NewCom can make this part of the field engineering process also.
- Let NewCom perform a subscriber audit during walkout or as a stand-alone service—this application could provide a subscriber lift of up to 40% of the unauthorized attachments.
- Route engineering includes make-ready recommendations and can include pole attachment applications.
- Throughout the country, NewCom has performed route engineering for long haul and city fiber optic, giving our Field Engineering group contact with a variety of local and state governments. We would like to put those contacts to work for you in right-of- way acquisition, easement title search, procurement, survey coordination, exhibit preparation, easement recording, and land appraisal coordination.
- For underground facility, NewCom can prepare conduit design, conduit detailing, manhole detailing, prepare all forms and documentation for approval of conduit construction and/or installation, and verify as-built.
- Multi-Dwelling Units engineering services include: site engineering, acquisition of Right of Entry agreements, site engineering of the distribution system and building wiring, and project oversight. Here sensitivity to the requirements and needs of property owners is key to access and acceptance. NewCom’s experienced field group works to build a trusting relationship with property owners by including them in the planning process.
NewCom will act on behalf of the System in property acquisition and right of way negotiations. We also make sure that local and governmental jurisdiction requirements for aerial and underground communication facilities are met; including, if required, accordance with the National Electric Safety Code and National Electric Code.